Thanks for the answers.
I'll take here point 5 and 6.

>> 5)  does neo4j have a replication tool? I.e. is it possible to sync a
>> > remote and a embedded database instance? Hibernate used to help here.
>> > Are there tools to help?
>> >

>> Yes. There are two. There is a hot backup option for making backups of live
>> running databases. And there is the relatively new HA (high availability)
>> infrastructure for keeping clusters of databases synchronized. The various
>> databases can be running as embedded or as server, it does not matter, they
>> can still be synchronized. There are rules, however as to which is master,
>> and which is best to write to. See
>> http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/High_Availability_Cluster

That sounds nice. My scenario is something like: I have a centralized
database. On the Desktop side I have a workstation on which I do GIS
analysis. People want to get a chunk of data of interest, so they can
"pollute" them with their analyses until they are happy. So it is a
bit the concept of a distributed versioning system. I have my local
workspace, on which I play, then I could push back that result I
liked.
Anything like that around? :)

> Another way is doing online backups,
> http://docs.neo4j.org/chunked/milestone/operations-backup.html
>

>> 6) Timeseries. The only way to hande then seems to be the timeline, right?
[...]
> I have recently added a TimelineIndex (with a LuceneTimeline implementation
> class) which uses an Index as backend instead of the graph and may be
> faster.
>
> See
> https://github.com/neo4j/graphdb/blob/master/lucene-index/src/test/java/org/neo4j/index/timeline/TestTimeline.javafor
> an example of the source and
> http://components.neo4j.org/neo4j/1.3.M05/apidocs/org/neo4j/index/lucene/TimelineIndex.htmlfor
> javadoc of the interface.

I am not sure if I do not see it or if it is not there.
I see how a timeline index is build. But then, how do I get that
timeline from a just opened database instance?
It would be really great to have s simple example like the matrix ones
on the wiki, in which a timeline is created, the database is closed,
then reopened and the timeline is queried.

If I am just blinded by too much info at one time, feel free to smash
me with a link/hint.

Thanks,
Andrea