Wow, Andrea, your questions have sparked such a dialog I don't know where to
interject my own answers. I will try comment on a few.

> > You can choose which relationship types and directions to view, but
> > that's it. Try decreasing the maximum number of nodes to show in the
> > preferences, if you're OK with some missing data in the visualization.
> > To just browse a graph and look at the structure it can be useful to
> > bring the maximum down to 20 or so.
>
> Yes, I understand it, but that just helps the visualization overload.
> There is no way to view all the aliens that have blue skin and age >
> 10 years from a neo4j database, if not in a lucene search engine,
> right?
> Perhaps I am thinking too rdbm, but how do I overview my data without
> lines of code? How do I do a simple count on the blue aliens?

Neoclipse is primarily for visualizing the 'local graph' (ie. a bit of graph
local to some main node). There is a search function that helps find the
start node in a large graph, but there is no query language for general
queries.

However, general queries are possible in neo4j itself, in two ways:

   - Index queries, based on the type and contents of the index
   - Graph traversals, using the traversal API

Which one to use depends on how and where you have stored your data. For
graph queries, you already mentioned one of the more powerful options
available, gremlin. Since you already use a groovy console in your app, and
gremlin is a groovy internal-DSL, perhaps this is a natural path for you to
take?