Jaques,
  I disagree that the content/index/main page is same as finding it through
wiki. Of course the information is there, and people desperate to find it
may see it through search. But, as part of the discussion, the index give
the depth of available information in a logically organized way.  Even David
mentioned in one of his tutorial that Freemaker has one of the best tutorial
available, and I felt the same way just looking at it. I think most of the
people get an overview looking at the contents, and decided to start looking
at it in order. I agree that it doesn't make sense to change the index
completely, but we may add to it. I looked at the wiki and I could add new
pages, make changes etc. so, let's see what these newbies, including me, can
do :-)
Babu.