Hi :)
I think MS have been really clever.  Their .DocX and such have been pushed
through as  ostensibly being an accepted ISO  standard even though each of
their programs seems to mis-implement it in strange and different way.

So, they can say the DocX is a standardised format and then that it's the
user's fault for not using the right version of MS Office in order to read this
so-called standarised format in the right way.

"Third party" programs such as LibreOffice have to decide which of the DocX
formats they follow.  Should they implement the spec as agreed with the ISO
people, in which case none of the MS programs display it properly or should
they pick 2007, 2010 or 365?  Whichever of the 4 choices are settled on people
will then grumble that their documents produced in any of the others doesn't
display properly AND because DocX is an ISO format then therefore it is the
fault of LO for not following the 'standard' properly.

So, people have to stick with MS Office in order to read and produce the
standardised MS format.  More than that, they have to upgrade to whichever one
all the people they deal with uses otherwise it wont look right.  All that is
the user's fault because the standard is DocX and the format used in each
program is called DocX and therefore it must be the same, right?!!?  (The big
NO from all those that know gets ignored).  So who is claiming that it is the
users fault when it clearly isn't?!  The users themselves blame themselves and
make excuses as to why they haven't bought the 'right' version yet!  They
honestly don't think it's a bit strange that a so-called 'standard' is not
acting the way a standard should and that they need to keep upgrading.

So, while file-compatibility is often cited as a reason to stick with MS Office
that compatibility only happens if the people sharing the document are using
the same version of MS Office.  Also a disclaimer during installing 2010 states
that it needs to be on the same OS.  It says that 2010 on Xp will look
different if viewed by 2010 on Win7 [on the same machine with the same printer]

The whole thing is crazy.

Add in that MS made a big fuss about trying to work with other people by
including "OpenDocument Format" but used the older format rather than the 1.2
that everyone else uses and now says it shows that the ODF format is
fundamentally broken so people should stick with DocX.  It's only MS Office
that fails to display ODF properly.  Sometimes one product makes an honest
mistake but that is seen as a bug and gets reported and hopefully fixed. It's
not blamed on the user for not using the right product.

Amazing that people keep falling for MS.