I'm trying to build httpd 2.2.4 on an Intel Mac as a PPC binary. I'm doing this so that I can build a PHP module with Oracle support. Because Oracle has only released PPC libraries, I have to compile PPC-only apps if I want to use them. Otherwise, ld complains that the architecture is different between the executable and the library.

At any rate, compiling works:

        $ CPPFLAGS="-arch ppc" LDFLAGS="-arch ppc" ./configure
        --build=ppc-apple-darwin8.10.2

but when I try "sudo apachectl start", I get no httpd processes, and this message in my error log:

        "[emerg] (14)Bad address: Couldn't set permissions on
        cross-process lock; check User and Group directives"

The default User and Group directives use daemon. I tried creating my own user account and plugging in that user/group in place of daemon, but I get the same result.

Has anybody else encountered this? Do you have any hints?

Thanks,

zak.