I think you should use timeout !
It seems that your request take a long time to be computed by your tomcats.
If you reach the max connections (http or ajp ) then you have to wait for
tomcat response to free a connection slot.
What says your jk_status page ? are all your workers in error state ? how
many busy connections do you have ?

You can :
  - in httpd.conf :
        +if your using keepalive, add a keepalive timeout. 5,10 or 15 s may
be enough.
         + if your using mpm_winnt, increase ThreadsPerChild value to
increase max available connections.

  - in workers.properties :
              + worker.yourworker.reply_timeout=30000. after 30s without
response, the connection will try another worker or fail.
              + limit your
connection_pool_size if your are in multi thread httpd mode. You may
have on connection per thread which can
overload your tomcats.

 - in your tomcat : increase your AJP connectors maxThreads. 200 by default.
It's no very efficient to have too much thread but it can prevent you from
refused connections.

--
Bj

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/timeouts.html