I think that it doesn't matter if a module is a part of Apache or it is a third party one. If someone uses some modules in httpd.conf, that tool will need to be able to understand them, because otherwise that tool would be useless. And I guess most of the Apache admins use some kind of external modules like mod_php, or mod_python, (or mod_perl which is not so "third party").

But mod_perl allow including even perl code in httpd.conf, so that tool even though it shouldn't understand the perl code, it should be able to understand the XML elements used for including that code, for allowing the admins to modify it.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Schober" <peter.scho...@univie.ac.at>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:18 AM
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editinghttpd.conf

Just a few thoughts from the top of my head...

* Mohammed obaidan <blue4...@gmail.com> [2009-02-14 14:53]:
What I really aiming at is complete portable administration tool for
Apache. I am heading for this goal step by step and the first step is
the GUI for configuring Apache.

So you want to write a complete admin tool with a GUI, that means a
GUI item for every single httpd directive (or it's possible values, if
restricted)? Seems like an awful lot of knobs to turn?
Also what does complete with regard to the supported modules and their
respective config options mean? Is this tool complete, iff it has a
knob for every directive that's available when doing `configure &&
make && make`? How about distribution's and other packaged versions
and their modules? Whom are you targetting? All of them?

You said this would possibly run on MS-Windows and other OSes, so it
will be standalone desktop application? And it's output/result of
using that GUI would be what?  A single httpd.conf file? What if my
OS/distribution uses split config files (or does not use those)?
Does that mean I cannot use the file, produced by your GUI tool?
Or will I have to ssh to $server and hack at this file with $EDITOR
to make the neccessary changes?

Or will it somehow interact with httpd? Push the config file on some
server (preferrably via secure protocols) or check the config file
into a VCS? How will httpd learn of the changes? Automatic reloading?
Might need a full restart, though. After doing syntax checks
(e.g. `apachectl -t`)? Who will parse the output of the syntax checks?

I'm sure this could all be solved, given the resources.
I'm not so sure if these resources would be spent wisely, though.

cheers,
-peter