Mohammed obaidan wrote:
Hi,

OK I am really happy with the replies here and really appreciate your
opinions and ideas.

Since Apache is used on more UNIX machines than Windows machines, it
seems that the audience here are Linux users and are willing to edit
the file by a text editor without any helping tool. However, in my
point of view, I think when a Windows user want a simple web server
will go for IIS because it has a GUI. This will affect Apache usage
share, though not that much but at least will have an impact.

Regarding the GUI for the modules, I think that every module creator
can for example implement a simple plugin for my tool, as you said,
since it will needs lots of time and effort. Perhaps I will look at
the modules structure  and how they work. If there is a possibilty to
make a standard plug in for modules that can be easily added to the
tool.

Regarding installing a basic Apache on Windows, it is not an easy
task. It is easy iff you install it from a package like XAMPP.

Regarding the users that will use this tool, I think the majority of
the users will be Windows users and users who are Windows users but
using Linux as a server.

I think such a tool will contribute a lot to Apache since it will ease
it configuration. I know that most of you are thinking that this tool
for Windows users that are so lazy to do it by hand. However I think
it will help them and people who are switching to Linux like myself.

One final note, I will read about the modules and their structure.
Maybe I need more understanding of them to progress. Also, I really
appreciate your comments and ideas about this issue and I hope if some
experts join our discussion.

Regards

webmin has an installer for Windows. Windows is in the supported os list. You can contribute to webmin. Why not just help make the webmin apache module more robust. I use webmin when I feel like it, text editor when I don't. webmin has already done most of the work for you, no need to reinvent the wheel.

--
Norman Registered Linux user #461062 -Have you been to www.apache.org yet?-