On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 7:58 PM o1bigtenor <o1bigte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> Am a noob at server setup installation and configuration.
>
> Running on a Debian 10 Buster box set up as a LAMP stack using versions
> 1. Debian 10 (Buster)
> 2. Apache 2.4.38
> 3. Mariadb 10.3
> 4. PHP 7.3.11
>
> Being a noob I've been using documents to guide me in the setup and
> the configuration of my stack. History has shown me that I'm quite
> good at finding some kind of weird way of really confusing things so
> all this work is being done on a test system - - - meaning that if
> things get bad enough I would just blow the whole system and
> everything away and start over but even struggling through all the
> 'joys' of figuring out the arcanities of how and what - - - - well
> that's part of the learning process.
>
> So my first server software install I did to 'localhost' (this is
> after all experimental but with the possibility of use after
> successful installation/configuration/etc). All software to be served
> is for in-house use only. This is not meant to be a server for use
> from the outside world This first software wants to be accessed from
> the browser as localhost/xxxx. This means that
> /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf   reads (one line
> anyway):  DocumentRoot /var/www/html. The problem is that the second
> program wants   DocumentRoot /var/www/html commented out and
> DocumentRoot /var/www/yyyyy/web put in its place.
>
> I would assume that would mean that apache would no longer be serving
> program xxxx the way it wants to be.
>
> Is there a way of resolving  this impass?
> I'm not at all skilled enough to plan out something that would work.
> Maybe I need to change the settings for both programs.
>
> Suggestions, please?

With a couple more hours of looking I found a possible answer - - - sorry
wasn't in any docs but rather in the methods suggested by others for install.
What I found was the concept of virtual hosts.
I am not sure if this is a great way to do things but that will be
what I'm going
to try. I would rather handle every specific program as being hosted on the
same instance but perhaps treating each program (that needs a server for its
implementation) as an independent host works better. Logically it is a shift
for me but I can see how it could assist in security, maybe.
Perhaps I'm not understanding either the concept of virtual hosting or how
to run multiple programs on one host very well. If so - - - if someone would
please advise?

TIA