> Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 09:42:51 -0600
> From: o1bigtenor <o1bigte...@gmail.com>
>
> So I don't really need to use 'virtual hosts'. What I am actually
> needing to do is to use different ports to the same 'stack' rather
> than creating different 'stacks'.
>
> By this I mean that I don't need to use different server
> configurations for each application rather than I need to 'just'
> assign different ports to the different applications and this
> should work.

I think you may be confusing "virtual machines" and "(apache) virtual
hosts". A virtual machine (VM) is indeed a whole "stack" (as you are
referring to things). A[n apache] virtual host environment is simply
configuring an instance of apache to serve content (more or less) as
if it's on different VMs. This will allow you to use different
document roots for each content set as well as serve out on different
ports and/or hostnames from a single machine.

In general I try to avoid serving content on non-standard http/https
ports as it tends to be confusing to users. Using different hostnames
and/or IPnumbers is cleaner and causes fewer headaches.