IRC's not good for helping moderate-size communities imho.

* It requires both parts to be available at the same time to be able to
help.
* Conversations are rarely stored and searchable. That's the whole point of
a wiki: to have things in written once and forever.
* It doesn't scale well when there's a lot of people talking.

It has even more problems than a mailing list. People ask the "wap-push
question" even with tons of threads archived by gmane, mail-archive and
similar services. How many times are you willing to answer it? ;)

I think the wiki could be a good idea, but extending the users guide or a
faq addressing some of the most commonly asked questions would do the trick
also.

Regards,

Alejandro

--