Allegedly, on or about 05 October 2016, JD sent:
> I am wondering why they (and others like broadcom) keep their drivers
> proprietary.

Educated guess:  Paranoia that it'll aid competitors, or that someone
will find out they've copied someone else's work into their product.

From my perspective, of hardware that I'd want to use, graphics cards
and printer drivers are the worst offenders.  Virtually no manufacturer
builds a device that is based an an existing scheme that can be directly
supported and optionally improved, everything is a re-invention of the
wheel.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Windows, it's enough to make a grown man cry!