Earlier this afternoon, from Thunderbird running on a windows-7 box, I sent 2
messages from yahoo account #1 to yahoo account #2, each with different
few-megabyte (not mega-pixel) picture attached.  I also sent 1 message from
yahoo account #1 to yahoo account #3; it had one few-megabyte picture attached
(different from the 2 sent to yahoo account #2).

1. I booted up my Fedora workstation.
2. As soon as it was ready, I logged in.
3. As soon as that was done, I launched Evolution.
4. As soon as that was done, I signed in to yahoo account #2.
5. As soon as that was done, I selected the one of the new messages from yahoo
account #1.  It downloaded in under 5 seconds.
6. I then immediately asked to display the picture in "xv".  The picture was
immediately displayed.
7. I closed the xv display, and selected the other new message.  It downloaded
in under 5 seconds.
8. I then immediately asked to display the picture in "xv".  The picture was
immediately displayed.
9. I then logged in to yahoo account #3.
10. As soon as that was done, I selected the new messagesfrom yahoo account #1.
 It downloaded in under 5 seconds.
11. I then immediately asked to display the picture in "xv".  The picture was
immediately displayed.
In Thunderbird, these downloads would have taken over half an hour.

Other things that I notice in Thunderbird:
* Sending a message with an attached picture is a few times faster than
downloading a message with an attached picture.  This is despite my ISP's
download speed being about 10 times faster than the upload speed.
* Downloading a Sent folder message with an attached picture is clearly faster
that downloading an Inbox message with an attached picture.
* Downloading a new or very recent Inbox message with an attached picture seems
to be faster than downloading an old Inbox message with an attached picture.

Evolution never showed any messages as having empty bodies.  (yahoo account #2
is the account to which Fedora users list messages are sent.)  Most such
messages do show up as having empty bodies in Thunderbird (the issue of this
thread).  So the problem is not just yahoo e-mail; it's not the operating
system or display manager.  That leaves Thunderbird at least in part.  There
definitely seems to be at least two problems here.

Samuel:
I understand that the logs gave no hint of a problem.  But could it be that
there is a problem, but there are no "debug" statements in that part of the
code?  Is a more detailed logging level available?

Tim:
Evolution apparently starts some processes either on boot-up or on login.  I
did not put anything in my login scripts.  Where are these processes being
launched?

thanks,
Bill.