Allegedly, on or about 26 March 2018, home user sent:
> I tried Evolution several times over the last few days.  Fedora users
> lists show up just fine.  Downloads seem almost instantaneous.
>
> I used Thunderbird to send a 5+megabyte (not megapixel) picture as an
> attachment to an e-mail to myself (but different e-mail account).
> The upload of the message and attached picture took well less than
> one minute.  I later signed into that second e-mail account in
> Evolution, selected that message, and displayed the picture.  Almost
> instantaneous.  (In Thunderbird, the download would take almost an
> hour!)

Have you tried:  Setting up a new login to your computer (a completely
unconfigured one), logging into it and setting up Thunderbird as a
pristine user, and running some test posts that way.

> I notice that in Evolution, when I do File->Quit, a "ps -ef"
> afterwards shows Evolution is still running.

It's one of those "office" applications, which do more than just mail.
There's a calendar feature, for example.  Not that I use it, but I
presume that it'll pop up reminders without you having to run Evolution
to see if you have any appointments.

It hasn't seemed to be a problem for me (it running something all the
time), in all the years that I've been running Evolution on several
underpowered PCs.  But I know what you mean about apps that keep on
running when you thought you had quit them.

Thunderbird does the same thing, if I run it on a friend's Mac.  It
constantly runs in the background.  It's keeping tabs on whether any
new mail has arrived (the launch icon has a number of unread messages
superimposed on it, that it keeps updating).  It probably is doing the
calendar thing, too.

> I also don't know if Evolution is storing messages or attachments
> locally.  Was that 5+ megabyte picture downloaded and stored while I
> was doing something else?  So I don't know if the above test has any
> real validity.

If you use POP3 and download messages, it will (store them).  IMAP will
only temporarily cache things, like a web browser does (as you browse
through the web, things get locally stored, but not permanently).  But,
from what I can see, it's not the huge long-lived cache that web
browsers do.

If I look through ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/ there's 376kB in
there, I have no POP3 accounts in use and no mail stored locally in
Evolution (the local folders content).

If I look through ~/.cache/evolution/ there's 111MB.  This is where
it's caching IMAP mail (mostly this is just my inbox), I've got years
of mail on my IMAP server, many many more megabytes than that, but in
other folders.  It's only caching the stuff I've recently read (unsure
what the time period it caches for it).  The mail folders that I
haven't looked in for a while have just a few kB cached (which is
mostly just the bit of info about the folder, itself).

One gotcha with Evolution (and other similar clients), is that you can
set up the inbox to only show recent messages.  They're still there in
the inbox, just not listed.  So your inbox can become huge if you don't
periodically delete mail, or shift it to another folder.  But it is
handy feature to just see the most recent mail, by default, and still
be able to find last weeks prior message without a huge hunt.

If you want to force Evolution to quit, there are command line options
to make it do so (which could be put into a "quit, dammit" desktop
icon).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.15.10-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 15 17:14:41 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Linux cures Windows pains.