On 03/20/2018 11:02 AM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 03/20/2018 10:24 AM, home user wrote:
>> Point:  downloading in Thunderbird of folder structure, message
>> headers, and messages (especially with attachments) are the only cases
>> in which I experience slowness.  Youtubes, high-resolution weather
>> satellite loops, and the download phase of my weekly "dnf upgrade" all
>> happen very quickly and without problems.  Based on this, is anything
>> other than verizon/yahoo or Thunderbird suspect?
>
> Unlikely.  Especially given what I saw in your Thunderbird log file.
>
>> Question: Is a new thread needed for this?
>
> No.  I would suggest trying another email client if you can, just to see
> if it's something specific with Thunderbird and Yahoo or if it's a
> general failure of Yahoo's IMAP support.  Do you have an email client on
> your phone?  (I recommend K-9 if you don't. :-) )
>
>> Question:  "ifconfig" output appears to contain a few ip addresses.
>> I'm very security and privacy conscious, and uneasy about posting ip
>> addresses.  What fields do I really need to post?
>
> I assume just the MTU.  However, I expect your IP addresses are just
> going to be the typical internal network ones anyway.
>
>> By the way, what is "MTU"?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit
> The largest packet size you can send on the network interface.  1500
> seems to be the standard size, but I think there's a process of checking
> along the links to see if there's a smaller one along the path.  If you
> send a packet larger than the max MTU, it will get fragmented into
> multiple pieces which can slow things down especially if one of those
> pieces gets lost on the way.  Or worse, in a badly implemented network,
> sometimes a link will truncate or drop the packet instead of fragmenting
> it.

I really rather doubt MTU is what this is about. I think what he was
really asking is 'what is "MTA"' (an email-related thing). In that case,
it's the Mail Transport Agent (software that moves mail between hosts
using the SMTP protocol). The most common ones you see on Linux are
"sendmail" and "postfix".

Other pieces of software in the email chain are the MDA (Mail Delivery
Agent), which the MTA uses to put mail in individual users' mailboxes
upon receipt. The most common one on Linux is "procmail" and the MDA
typically runs on the same machine as the RECEIVING MTA.

Finally, there's the MUA (Mail User Agent), which is essentially what
end users use to view the mail. There's tons of those, but most common
I've found on Linux are Thunderbird, claws-mail, mutt, Balsa, KDEMail,
etc. Note that it is the MUA that uses protocols such as IMAP4, POP3,
MAPI and the like.