Allegedly, on or about 21 March 2018, home user sent:
> eno1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
>         inet [private?]  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast [private?]
>         inet6 [private?]  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x0<global>
>         inet6 [private?]  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
>         ether [private?]  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
>         RX packets 484153  bytes 709486540 (676.6 MiB)
>         RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
>         TX packets 220211  bytes 16656790 (15.8 MiB)
>         TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
>         device interrupt 20  memory 0xf7400000-f7420000

Nothing jumps out as looking wrong.  You're getting no transmission or
receptions errors chalked up, neither.

> I do not have a cell phone.  I'm limited to what's on my work
> station.  It's my understanding that free yahoo e-mail is limited to
> imap, pop3 cannot be used.

I use POP3 to drag in my yahoo mail, but I'm using:
pop.mail.yahoo.com.au

I use fetchmail to drag all my mail into a local server, then use mail
clients with IMAP to work through the local server.

> Later this week, I'll try evolution on the e-mail account that I use
> for computer things, including this list.

Always a good test to try another client.

> I watched the KSysGuard graph while downloading a message with a 4
> megabyte picture attached.  It showed download speeds generally
> between 80 and 90 KiB/s (is the 'B' bits or bytes here?).

I would expect so.  It's standard practice to use "b" for bits, and
"B" for bytes.  You should be able to work out if they're following the
convention by what abbreviations they use elsewhere in the program.

> While downloading a big picture from google images, it got up to
> almost 4 MB/s.  My ISP (comcast) provides peak download speed of
> 60Mbps.

4 megabytes per second should be 32 megabits per second.

Can you try a speed test from something hosted by your ISP?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.15.7-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 28 18:01:11 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Well somebody had to eat the last biscuit.
You're just miffed that it wasn't you.