On Thu, 2018-03-29 at 23:48 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> I expect that Evolution is not using the same IMAP requests as
> Thunderbird did.  Thunderbird was getting the server to parse the email
> somewhat and give it the details.  Evolution may just be asking the
> server to send it the whole thing.  I don't know if Evolution has some
> way to log the protocol like Thunderbird, but it's not necessary.
> Install "socat" and run the following command as root in a terminal:
> socat -v tcp-l:143 openssl:your.mail.server:993

Evolution does not download the whole message unless you ask for it
(e.g. by having a preview pane open). To debug IMAP:

CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution >& logfile

For more on Evolution debugging, see:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

Note that Evo has various preferences which can affect IMAP
connections. Look in Edit->Preferences-><account>->Receiving Options.

poc