<rant>

Guðlaugur Stefán Egilsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/09/2003
08:49:40 PM:

> Hi all
>
> I've been trying to get Maven to work with my project. I've
> spent about a day on that, with very little to show.
>
> First I'd like to say that I think it’s an extremely bad decision
> not to support CVS libraries (that is, the classic lib
> directory that typically contains the jars you are dependent
> on). Well, actually it is supported to some degree, but
> that support is similar to the support a rope gives a hanged
> man, which is not very desirable :-) I think the repository idea
> is excellent, but if you are going to establish a broad user
> base such as ant has, you have to support the way people are
> working now. A no. 1 requirement for Maven should be that it
> runs without hiccups on a standard project with a source directory,
> a test-source directory and a lib directory, preferably without
> any configuration whatsoever.
Sorry, but bollocks. If people want to configure their own lib directory,
the support is there, using the jar override facility.

It's not something we're going to encourage though, as a general way of
building your application it's woefully wasteful on download size and disk
space. Not only that, but it encourages versionless jar files.

If people want to use Ant, they can use Ant.

As for "a standard project with a source directory, a test-source
directory and a lib directory, preferably without
 any configuration whatsoever.", if that's 'standard', then lots of people
are way off base.

> To give you some idea of the problems I've been encountering, then
> it was first of all to get the thing to compile my source using
> "maven jar".
> I eventually gave up on using lib and jar overrides, and generated a
> local repository out of my library using a batch file.
And that took how long? How many jar files do you have??

> At that point, unit tests wouldn't run, with a ClassNotFoundException
> on JUnitTestRunner. If I removed the test clause from the project
> descriptor, a NullPointerException occurred!?! I then found that
> it is necessary to set a property to skip the tests (this is bad
> design
Nope, this is damn good design. Anyone who has tests that don't work
should fix their tests instead of omitting them in the first place. Long
term, omitting your tests is a good way to have broken software.

> imho, it should be enough to remove the test clause from the project
> descriptor). At this point, Maven finally gave me a jar.
Unfortunately for you, you don't know if it was any good, as the tests had
been skipped!

> Then I tried to generate the web site this morning, which gives me
> a InvocationTargetException when running the maven-changelog-plugin.
Do you have a valid POM?

> Btw, I re-enabled the tests this morning, at which time they ran
> (why is very mysterious to me), but ended with an
> EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (that probably warrants a bug report to
> Sun).
> It's a test suite that runs fine under Ant and IntelliJ.
i.e. you've screwed up your Maven configuration....

> I've basically given up on Maven for the time being. My impression
> of the state of the project is that it should not be in beta, the
> quality is more like that of an alpha-status project.
Taken with the grain of salt it deserves.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting