Tim,

I would recommend Maven to everyone. I come from a Config Management
background and its hard pushing the principles on to other who don't
care or shouldn't care. Maven provides a framework for all to work
within and thus includes everybody in that framework.

So as long as everybody is willing it's a good thing.

The bigger the project gets and the more dependencies being produced the
more Maven starts coming into its own.

Before we moved to Maven we were using Ant very effectively, but it was
hard to manage even with the ability to include Ant scripts within Ant
scripts.

There are not many situations where you would not use Maven. Now RC1 is
out on the streets and the Multiproject Plugin has reached maturity,
there are not more compelling reasons to stay away from Maven. Even in
our situation where we deploy onto Broad Vision and have no clean way of
deploying a WAR file, Maven has still managed to solve the majority of
the problems by allowing us to customize the plugins.

I still consider myself a Maven novice, only having migrated 2 months
earlier, but already I can't see myself going back to where we came
from.

What we would like to see in the future is a Source Code Management and
Defect Management plugin to provide some form of Release Management.

Hope this helps

Pat