My preference is for src/main/java (but I wrote the wiki page, so I can't really count this is a 2nd vote ;))

The rationale is this:

If you have src/java and src/test, then where do you put resources for testing?

eg: src/resources, src/test-resources

where do you put other items that are required for both the main application and the test part of application?

It just makes sense to me to have a fairly balanced directory structure.

I agree - genapp should be changed to the decided upon structure.