Peter Donald wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:05 pm, Ben Walding wrote:

The rationale is this:

If you have src/java and src/test, then where do you put resources for
testing?

eg: src/resources, src/test-resources

One school of thought suggests that no test should NEVER require resources external to the TestCase. You can always use Mock objects or manually construct pre-conditions for test, run the test and then test the output.

External resources for unit tests are only required if there is badly written code or badly written tests. While I previously used to litter my unit tests with other resources I now think it is a really bad idea. Can you give an example where there is a good reason to have resources associated with unit tests?

There is a lot of examples of such unit tests.
E.g. I18N service which reads messages from XML files. To test it you need to provide few XML files
and to place them somewhere. Mock object are not really helpful here.

Some application might need configuration files - e.g. configuration of logging mechanism (specially log4j needs it).

Michal