> I have a sense - perhaps misguided - that opening a JIRA issue is a
> definite statement that something is wrong and needs fixing.

You create a jira for something YOU think is wrong or should be clarified.
You could have discussed it on a mailing list in advance, but it's not
necessary if you think something is wrong.
If the author/committer/etc will ask for more info (in the jira) if he/she
don't understand. And he/she will reject it if he/she doesn't agree. So,
create jiras and vote for other jiras you think are important! A quick
search if the defect has already been reported will be appreciated though.

/Anders