Sent from my [rhymes with tryPod] ;-)

On 12 Mar 2010, at 13:40, Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com> wrote:

Stephen Connolly wrote:
On 10 March 2010 21:48, Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact- software.com> wrote:

Post things to JIRA (especially with patches) to get things changed. I

assure you, patches with good/useful changes in content will be
well-received and the site/documentation will be updated in due
course.

I am not going to get into "patching". I leave that to the author. I will suggest rewording or request that clarifying text be added but I will not
create patches.

Then I think you are misunderstanding what we mean by "patches"...

If it is documentation,

* obviously a .patch file for the .apt file would be great (it'll get
reviewed and applied very fast)

* failing that something like:

--- On this page: http://maven.apache.org/....../blah.html current content
is ---

Blah blah blah blah

--- Suggested replacement content is ---

Waffle Waffle Blah Blah

--- On this paget: etc

would be IMHO perfectly fine as a "patch" and it would be reviewed and
applied quite fast

That is much better.
That only leaves my reluctance to open a JIRA without some discussion first as to whether my "improvements" actually are correct and clearer than the original author's text. In other projects, I usually have a chance to present my suggestions to the author and get his feedback or to ask him/her for additional clarification or examples before determining that my suggestions are actually the right way to go. I have a sense - perhaps misguided - that opening a JIRA issue is a definite statement that something is wrong and needs fixing.

if the documentation does not make sense to you (wearing a novice user hat) then something is wrong and you should raise a Jira.

if you feel unsure about your suggested "improvement" then it's fine to say, "I think this should say something like: blah waffle blah" and leave it up to the committer to decide

when it comes to documentation, if it us unclear to you, then the documentation is at fault...

when it comes to functional behaviour, then your reticense is more warranted (but may still be unnecessary... after all it could be a documentation bug ;-) )

-Stephen

Ron
-Stephen