From: Brill Pappin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 2:21 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: RFE for the war plugin

To clarify; I'm not asking that the classes dir go away, I'm just asking for the ability to use a jar instead. Which should be a fairly simple addition to the war goal.

Doing this allows me to use the manifest versioning, labeling and
dependency parts of the manifest. For example, my code currently logs
not only the file and line number that an exception happened in, but
also the package and version of the jar, because in my situation it's
possible that I have different servers running different revisions of
the code.

Your class-load order comment is a good point, but I actually see this
as a bonus for the JAR argument, in that I can quickly patch a library
or over-ride a log4j properties file without re-deploying... not that I
would tend to do this if I could help it, but I've seen the need for it
recently (in an emergency).

- Brill Pappin