I suggest talking to them about components, cohesion and various other
buzzwords although it sounds like you might be fighting a losing battle if
your team are too stubborn to run builds.

Separating your application into individual components with clearly defined
responsibilities makes a lot of sense for all sorts of reasons which aren't
really relevant to this list. Maintaining the source for these components in
separate source trees, and treating each component as separate artifacts
with it's own Maven project.xml with interdependencies and versioning
managed via the very easy to use Maven dependency mechanism has worked very
well for me and my team.

If my understanding of your team's desire to "keeping parts of the app
together" is to construct one monolithic source tree with no independent
versioning of components then maybe your team isn't ready for Maven yet and
you should focus on introducing some of the more basic principles of OOD.

Matt.