I think that the target has to be people deciding whether to try Maven.
They initially want to know what it does and why it is better than Ant or whatever they are using now.

Trying to teach Maven in a single sentence is too much to ask.

"Maven is a build tool which consumes and produces artifacts managed in a repository." doesn't sound like it will help build my application.
At the start, one doesn't have any artifacts or own a repository.

"Apache Maven is a convention-over-configuration build tool which has great dependency management features." is pretty clear for a single sentence description and it true.
Maybe we can come up with a follow-up sentence to amplify/explain this one.
Most programmers or project managers should be able to find the time to read 2 or maybe 3 sentences before deciding on a build tool. As long as each sentence draws the person deeper into Maven, that would work.

Ron