Le 6 janv. 2014 22:34, "Stephen Connolly" <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
a écrit :

> I don't want a religious war. If Gradle or ANT are a better fit for the
way
> some people think about building software... well good for them... and the
> faster we can help them realise that Maven takes a different tack the
> better.
>
> I happen to believe that the power of Maven comes from being model driven
> rather than procedural, which ultimately allows for a richer IDE
> experience, but consequently you lose some flexibility in your build
> process. It is a tradeoff I happen to like the Maven balance of, but I am
> not so arrogant to presume that Maven's balance suits everyone.
>
> The Maven repository has grown beyond just Maven, so that is no longer a
> key differentiator for Maven.
>
> The differentiator is in the declarative build rather than procedural
> build...

I disagree (when comparing with Gradle). The differentiator to me is going
beyond the build tool: project management and comprehension tool. Things
like the m-release-p, m-scm-p, m-site-p, etc. No other tool has those
AFAICT, and not everybody wants or needs them.
On the negative side: linear lifecycle, fixed number of classpaths (scopes)
that forces you to use separate modules (not a problem per se) thus put
files in separate folder trees (more of an issue, even if it means losing
IDE support), etc. Many of which contribute to making it really hard to
migrate from Ant to Maven.

> With Ant you have a mostly pure procedural build.
>
> With Maven you have a mostly pure declarative build.
>
> With Gradle you have a hodge-podge mix of both.
>
> (By declarative, I mean <packaging>jar</packaging> is all I need to
> declare, maven knows how everything fits into that)

"apply plugin: java" is all you need to declare in Gradle ;-)

(OK, you also need a couple other lines to deploy to a Maven or Ivy repo,
but no more than in a POM)

> So let's let others go to the tools that suit their tastes, and the faster
> that we help them there, the less bitching about how "Maven is crap
> (because it doesn't suit my taste)" we will hear.
>
> It's like marmite: you either love it or hate it!
>

> On 6 January 2014 20:08, Russell Gold <russell.g...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > Several sentences sounds good. But here’s another question. Comparing
> > Maven to ant is almost too easy in terms of advantages. Is gradle now a
> > serious competitor (I had been working on converting an enormous
project to
> > maven, but the architect decided to switch to gradle, so I am
particularly
> > sensitive to the issue). I can see some superficial advantages of gradle
> > that might appeal to some projects. Is it better to ignore or address
this?

> > On Jan 6, 2014, at 3:02 PM, Stephen Connolly <
> > stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maven.
Ant