It's a computer, for chrissake. It doesn't (or shouldn't) care how long a
document is. Programs fault because of either logic errors or runtime errors.
In this case, it looks like memory management may be at fault, or maybe a
dangling pointer or something. I don't really have any idea. Maybe it's just an
integer out of range somewhere, or a bollixed-up hash table. It's way over my
pay grade to fix it, but someone with the necessary knowledge can d/l Neo's
source code (it's based on OOo) and see how Patrick (Neo's sole engineer)
addressed the problem.

At any rate, if word processing is mission-critical, and the word processor
fails in one operation, should you trust it with critical work? And if it can
keep straight the complexity of a master doc, it should be able to keep track
of a single document. One of the reasons I *don't* use master docs is because
of the extra work needed to cross-reference various parts of a report, e.g., on
page 24, see cost analysis in Appendix C, page 98. (And page 98 keeps
incrementing as your document grows; it finally ends up being on page 210--and
your cross-reference reflects that.)

I really, really like AOO, but if it faults out on long docs, I'll keep using
Neo until it works without failing.