On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 07:28:03 -0600
James Plante <jimpla...@me.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 3:36 AM, Martin Groenescheij <mar...@groenescheij.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The advantage of entering a cross-reference as a field is that you do */not
> > have to adjust the references manually/* every time you change the
> > document. Just update the fields with F9 and the references in the document
> > are updated too.
>
> And with AOO, you can simply pick paragraph headings as the cross-reference
> if you're working on a single document. If, OTOH, you're using a master doc,
> then you must name the sub-file and explicitly spell out the reference. This
> is quite inconvenient in a big, complex document; there's also a high
> probability of error. If I'm working in a sub-file--say, Site Value, and I
> want to reference an entry in the section titled "market analysis," then the
> field reference has to be complete and accurate into a file that's not open,
> or worse, which is open and being changed by someone else.
>
> Now, a programmer who can figure out how to keep that much information
> straight in a dynamic document has my complete admiration. But it is easier
> for me to simply write a single, massive document that knows its own parts
> thoroughly. AOO does this until the document length exceeds about 170 pages,
> then it loses its mind, starts acting goofy, and won't save.
>
> And, btw, you don't have to lose your changes when that happens. Just open a
> new document, copy the new material from the malfunctioning one, and paste it
> into the new blank document. That will save nicely. The longer doc won't.

Just for badness, I once created an OpenOffice document of 22K+ pages (yes,
over 22,000 pages), of plain text.  I can't remember how many copies of War and
Peace it was, but it could be edited and saved, although so slow as to be
effectively unuseable.

I have two documents of formatted text, linked Table of Contents, footnotes,
endnotes and hyperlinks, each of well over 200 pages, which I regularly edit
and expand, without trace of any goofiness on their part (I don't mention
goofiness as applied to myself - "Nemo judex in sua causa"[the reference is
Coke, in Dr Bonham's case, if anyone is interested.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>