On 12/03/12 18:39, James Plante wrote:

>  One of the reasons I *don't* use master docs is because
> of the extra work needed to cross-reference various parts of a report, e.g.,
> on page 24, see cost analysis in Appendix C, page 98. (And page 98 keeps
> incrementing as your document grows; it finally ends up being on page 210--
>and your cross-reference reflects that.)

It has been over a decade since I've written anything long like that; but 15
or so years ago good word-processing software handled this problem properly.
Indices automatically kept up to date, as did cross-chapter / file references.
If aoo doesn't do that, it should be very high on the list of things to fix /
add in the next rev.

In that regard, I don't know if the iso standard which describes odt files
deals with this, (and I can't look at it because one has to pay ISO to get
a copy) but I would hope that it does, as it's an obvious well-known issue.
If it doesn't, it's something that should be addressed via a proposal to iso
with a sample implementation in the next rev of aoo.

Gary