On 4/12/2012 5:56 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
On 12/03/12 23:46, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
On 4/12/2012 5:36 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
On 12/03/12 18:39, James Plante wrote:

   One of the reasons I *don't* use master docs is because
of the extra work needed to cross-reference various parts of a report, e.g.,
on page 24, see cost analysis in Appendix C, page 98. (And page 98 keeps
incrementing as your document grows; it finally ends up being on page 210--
and your cross-reference reflects that.)
It has been over a decade since I've written anything long like that; but 15
or so years ago good word-processing software handled this problem properly.
Indices automatically kept up to date, as did cross-chapter / file references.
If aoo doesn't do that, it should be very high on the list of things to fix /
add in the next rev.

In that regard, I don't know if the iso standard which describes odt files
deals with this, (and I can't look at it because one has to pay ISO to get
a copy) but I would hope that it does, as it's an obvious well-known issue.
If it doesn't, it's something that should be addressed via a proposal to iso
with a sample implementation in the next rev of aoo.
Is what you ask is a standard for an unstructured input?
OpenOffice can deal with large files if you understand the concept of Styles.
I'm not familiar enough with styles to answer that for certain, but what I'm
talking about has nothing to do with the size of the file.  I'm talking about
a collection of files which together comprise the total document, as if
concatenated end-to-end.  e.g. toc.odt, contents.odt, chapter1.odt,...
index.odt.
book.odt says it's made up of those files in that order.

That's exactly what OpenOffice can do when you take the effort to learn / understand how to work with Styles
The Help file says this about Cross-references:

The advantage of entering a cross-reference as a field is that you do */not have to adjust the references manually/* every time you change the document. Just update the fields with F9 and the references in the document are updated too.