Rory O'Farrell wrote,

Just for badness, I once created an OpenOffice document of 22K+ pages (yes, over 22,000 pages), of plain text. I can't remember how many copies of War and Peace it was, but it could be edited and saved, although so slow as to be effectively unuseable.

I have two documents of formatted text, linked Table of Contents, footnotes, endnotes and hyperlinks, each of well over 200 pages, which I regularly edit and expand, without trace of any goofiness on their part (I don't mention goofiness as applied to myself - "Nemo judex in sua causa"[the reference is Coke, in Dr Bonham's case, if anyone is interested.

That helps support my belief that the problem may lie in trying to convert and share documents from different WP formats rather than in in AOO itself. I also wasn't aware of the cross-reference issues when using master documents. It's a good tidbit to know before one commits to using multiple files with master documents.

Virgil