On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Ernie Kurtz <kurtz...@umich.edu> wrote:
> James and Jeffrey and Andrea, thank you!  I do appreciate the warnings.
>
> Now a related question:  is it possible to corrupt an already tied URL?  I am
> working toward primarily print publication:  if I put a tinyurl or is.gd link
> in print, for the reader to key in, can it somehow be corrupted?  Even if
> there is an electronic version of what I write, can a link given in that
> format be corrupted?  I have been under the impression that malware lurked in
> URLs posted online.  Is that incorrect?
>
> ernie kurtz

Hello Ernie,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a URL being corrupted. I can say
that at least with is.gd, once the URL is set it can't be changed
(including being redirected to a malware or other bad site). So once
you shorten a link to a good site, it stays that way (as long as the
site itself does).

Incidentally, if you're shortening a link yourself, reconsider the
wisdom of doing so in bit.ly:

http://benmetcalfe.com/blog/2010/10/the-ly-domain-space-to-be-considered-unsafe/

(That URL comes from is.gd.)

PS: Feel free to call me Jeff - Thanks!

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

Your mood can affect how you read this e-mail. Please read it with a smile.
(http://tonecheck.com)