Thanks, Jeff, you answered my question thoroughly:  is.gd URLs are trustworthy
so long as the site to which they point is legitimate.  I assume the same is
true for tinyurls, but with so many being warned about them, it would seem
wiser not to use tinyurl (even though I prefer all lower case to is.gd's
melange).  And from what the link you sent says, it seems wise to avoid .ly
domains.  What is gd, by the way, Greenland?

Thanks again.

ernie