On 01/15/2009 02:30 AM, Xiang Liu wrote:
> I have share three documents here
> 1. abc.odt http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/359105/abc.odt
> 2. abc.doc http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/359105/abc.doc
> 3. abc.rtf http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/359105/abc.rtf
>
> abc.odt is the simplified original document of mine.
> abc.doc is the word version saved from openoffcie (from abc.odt)
> abc.rtf is the rtf version saved from openoffice(from abc.odt)
>
> if you open abc.doc by msword, you will see "drawing 1.1", it's OK. But be
> careful, if you choose it and press F9, drawing 1.1 will change to drawing
> 1.
> if you open abc.rtf by wordpad, you will see the picutures' missing.
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Xiang Liu <hsiang....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a file written in open office wirter. Recently, I have a need to
>> cooperate someone else using Microsoft word. So I resave my document to MS
>> Word format in OpenOffice Writer. There are many fields in my document such
>> fig.4.2. In MSWord, this code, for example { SEQ fig \*Arabic} will lose
>> chapter number and display as fig.2.
>>
>> So I need a way to keep the auto-numbering information (just the plain text
>> needed) and remove the fields functionality. I know a way which is to save
>> document into rtf first, then open it in wordpad. Yes, it works, but some
>> pictures of my original document will disappear.
>>
>> I just want to ask if there is another way to change the field to plain
>> text and keep the content of fields.

The problem appears to be that the level setting is not being preserved
in the .doc file. If you open the .odt and the .doc:

1. In the .odt, on fig 1.2 (Drawing 1.2: def): right click on the field
and select 'Fields'. Notice the 'Numbering by chapter' is set to Level 1
with a dot (.) Separator. Close that dialog and go to the .doc file.

2. In the .doc, on fig 1 (Drawing 1: def): right click on the field and
select 'Fields'. Notice the 'Numbering by chapter' is set to Level
_None_ with the dot (.) Separator greyed out. Change the Level from None
to 2, click OK, and the figure is now '1.1'. Also note that 'Drawing 1:
def' is now 'Drawing 1.2: def'.

Looks like a bug to me, please file an issue on
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/

Note: I tested with OOo 3.0.1RC2 (Build:9379).