I was searching for (other than but related to) OOo links when I came
across this page

[Warning] before an if you decide to click any links in this thread
*please* turn cookies *off*, the following links are highly suspicious.

The (usually reputable) website, "Version Tracker" at this VT link:
<http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=neooffice+2&srchArea=macosx%7Cmacosx-all&submit=Go>
while I was searching for "NeoOffice 2". I spotted linked to it a
supposedly paid for sponsor site (a Google ad):
<http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CsNwm1gOpSe_7BZSpjAfgpMHrCZvRh4gBweWEgAvlj439ARABILaEwwYoBFC5-omH-P____8BYKX4kYCQAaABt97Z8APIAQGqBBZP0CcQWmDHnko5STTUu41N_jAea_nH&num=1&sig=AGiWqtzxLvN-oVVu1HorCOWPMb7wBi89Tg&q=http://openoffice-software.com/new/home/%3Faffebnid%3D124%26gid%3D%26ovid%3D%26yid%3D%26msid%3D%26hop%3Dhowgood>
Sorry for the long links :-(
But it takes you to this:
<http://openoffice-software.com/new/home/?affebnid=124&gid=&ovid=&yid=&msid=&hop=howgood>
Now if you get to this page and happen to click onto the "Download Open
Office" button, it will take you to this page:
<http://www.fileguru.net/homepage.php?pid=98&bnid=54&hop=howgood&gid=&ovid=&yid=&msid=&item=>

This page wants you to "register" before you can DL Open Office - it
even displays an official OpenOffice.org logo!

-------quote
Top Features

- 128 bit SSL security
- 24x7 customer support
- Interactive flash tutorials
- Best value for money
- Instant download

1. Personal Information:

Choose Your Login

Please enter the following information to signup for your Open Office
membership

Your Email:
Password:
Confirm Password:

        Contact Information

First Name:
Last Name:

Protecting your privacy is important to us. Your email address and
personal information are confidential and will not be sold or rented.

2. Membership Options

3. Payment Information

------end quote

Steps 2 (Membership Options) and 3 (Payment Information), I did not
bother clicking on.

I don't know if you're aware of the amount of uninformed people that
have been posting to this list over the past few weeks and mentioning
having to register OOo... I think this is typical of what is going on,
and there are enough unaware folks who just have not got a clue, have
heard about OOo, want to try it - but the 1st place they end up at
(using a search engine) is at really dodgy links like the above. Because
it looks legit, they follow through, pay some money and wonder why is
doesn't work. This is such a bad thing.

After posting this to the list, I will lodge a complaint with Version
Tracker. I hope that, if you read this and feel as outraged, you will do
the same.

Regards.

--
Mike Dawe