On 02/28/2009 02:20 AM, Mike Dawe wrote:
> I was searching for (other than but related to) OOo links when I came
> across this page
[snips]
> I don't know if you're aware of the amount of uninformed people that
> have been posting to this list over the past few weeks and mentioning
> having to register OOo... I think this is typical of what is going on,
> and there are enough unaware folks who just have not got a clue, have
> heard about OOo, want to try it - but the 1st place they end up at
> (using a search engine) is at really dodgy links like the above. Because
> it looks legit, they follow through, pay some money and wonder why is
> doesn't work. This is such a bad thing.
>
> After posting this to the list, I will lodge a complaint with Version
> Tracker. I hope that, if you read this and feel as outraged, you will do
> the same.

Not a whole lot that can be done about it... notice at the bottom of the
page:
====
To become a Affiliate click here

This website that no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of this
software program, and provides only a link to the software program. if
you are a member of fileguru.net and need support please contact us and
not the software owner

Copyright 2007. all rights reserved
====

So that part is quite legal and they are not impersonating OOo.
But of course it is part of an entire "business model" to dupe people
into paying to download software that they can download for free. Click
on the "To become a Affiliate click here" take you to the signup sight
(all under the ClickBank.com/Keynetics Inc.):

http://www.clubaffiliate.net/
[another GoDaddy hidden Domains by Proxy so GoDaddy is the actual owner
of the domain name & therefore legally responsible].

Click on page #3:
http://www.clubaffiliate.net/index.php?x=30
and there you will see how you can "earn 75% per sale] for selling a
link to OpenOffice.org.

Now the above might be somewhat OK if these guys actually provided
product support and their own servers to host the downloads. But I can
pretty much guarantee that they don't host any of it, and instead use
OOo's volunteered, free, limited resources, mirrors to link the
"customer" to. This includes state university servers in the US where it
is illegal to make money off of software or services provided on those
servers without written consent.

Anyway, the archives for this list are chock full of threads like this.