Douglas Hinds wrote:

> The Download link of
>
> <openoffice-software.com>
>
> linked me to
>
> <http://www.filechampion.com/servepages.php?display=signupot&planid=1&bnid=49>
>
> which states at bottom:
>
>   Copyright © FileChampion, 2008.
>
>   This website that no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of the
>   software programs, and provides only a link to them. If you are a
>   member of filechampion.com and need support please contact us and
>   not the software owner. We do not endorse copying copy-right
>   material.
>
> They don't want anyone contacting <openoffice.org> (the legitimate
> author and distributor) so Sun won't discover that FileChampion is
> misrepresenting and profitting from Sun's cost free -and that
> includes support- product.
>
> FileChampion's pricing, for software THEY OFFER yet neither
> manufacture nor are authorized by Sun to sell, is as follows:
>
>   3 Years Membership
>   Enjoy the complete freedom
>   of downloading forever.
>   No restrictions. Sign up for
>   3 years membership now.
>    $ 37.95
>
>   2 Years Membership
>   Get two years of unlimited
>   downloads. No bandwidth or
>   data restrictions.
>   Go ahead and sign up now.
>   $ 32.88
>
> As all oo users know, "the complete freedom of downloading forever.
> No restrictions". is something SUN (not FileChampion) provides
> without cost. This is intentionally misleading and IMO constitutes
> fraud.
>
>   1 Year Membership
>   Get started with one year
>   membership. Sign up now
>   for this value for money
>   offer.
>  $ 29.88
>
> A Value to which FileChampion adds nothing.
>
>   $17.88 - Antivirus Software, Free Updates & Tech Support
>
> This is outrageous. The FBI has an internet fraud unit:
> <www.ic3.gov> where complaints can be registered,

Douglas. Many thanks for your excellent post.

I have come across another, even more convincing scam. It is also
another *google* sponsored link.

Type openoffice into Google's search engine and you will get both the
filechampion.com scam and this (both are at the top of the first page):
<http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CNltl38KsSfveFZTgkAWAsJnyCcy2gEXeqLroCvbe2DwIABACKAJQvd675Pv_____AWCl-JGAkAGgAZ6w7fYDyAEBqQIZlbzVMP2pPqoEE0_Qa7WsKtVCCYK1SRZpoZWuf48&sig=AGiWqtzJxx2FO-3G1kuXvHLW_cqOtiHKDg&q=http://openoffice.org-2009.com/index.asp%3Faff%3D101%26camp%3Dgg_oo_au%26se%3Dgoogle>
Sorry for the long link - it takes you to this evil scam page:
<http://openoffice.org-2009.com/index.asp?aff=101&camp=gg_oo_au&se=google>
This one has already picked up that I'm in Australia (so it can charge
me for OpenOffice in Aussie dollars I guess).

This page is far more "professional" in appearance. That we are fielding
so many "support" posts in here as of late, by posters claiming they are
registering and paying money for OpenOffice.org - I am not surprised
because if the first thing you can see when using Google and looking for
OpenOffice, what crops up are links to these scamming sites.

Most links on their first page point to:
<http://openoffice.org-2009.com/join.asp>, naturally they want to
harvest some details.

Their pricing scheme is similar to the filechampion.com site, this one
wants to charge me approx. US$50 for 3 years worth of "support" before I
can even get to DL OpenOffice.

I find this is outrageous. I will be complaining via the FBI link that
you provided.

So thanks for posting your thoughts.

--
Mike Dawe