I am attempting without much success to create a very simple,
basic slideshow, consisting of 25 slides, each of which needs to
contain no more than one to four lines of text.

No graphics.

No colors.

No special effects.

Especially, no special pre-designed formats.

I have read every word of the incorporated Help pages.
I have downloaded the three significant-appearing Impress "tutorials",
and read every single word of those. Nowhere does it demonstrate how to
do basic editing of simple text imported from an Open Office text
document. The default toolbar apparently assumes
that one would never want to change the font size. I could go on.

I expect to be presented with a WYSIWYG default, but apparently
Impress, like so much modern software, has a mind of its own.

*Is* it possible to create simple pages with nothing but words
on them, in Impress? Without having to deal with graphical
"text object" fields and such? Can it operate as a simple editor?

Or should I construct my 25 pages in OOWriter, then import them into
slides, one by one, with an expectation that they will make the
transaction in something roughly resembling their original basic form?

The help files and tutorials do not address this at all, from what I can
see. Like most modern documentation, they make the twin errors
of assuming prior knowledge not necessarily in evidence, and its
companion assumption that the user wants to start right in with the most
complicated features of the program, rather than launch with
some basics and complexify up from there.

Thanks for whatever advice you can offer....

Brewster Gillett