On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 12:32, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/01/2009 11:35 AM, bg wrote:
> > I am attempting without much success to create a very simple,
> > basic slideshow,

> > *Is* it possible to create simple pages with nothing but words
> > on them, in Impress? Without having to deal with graphical
> > "text object" fields and such? Can it operate as a simple editor?

NoOp:

> Yes. Select the blank layout, then View|Toolbars|Drawing - select
> the 'T' icon, place your cursor where you'd like to start, and
> start typing.

bg:

Unfortunately that apparently isn't working. When I select
View|Toolbars|Drawing, it is not giving me the particular
toolbar that contains the "T" icon. And when I try to paste
into the slide the text from my OOWriter file, I get bullets,
where before was a blank slide. Where the hell does the bloody thing
get off assuming everybody is going to want bullets in the first place?
Some of the design assumptions are just completely beyond me -
and not only in OO of course. Of course there's no intuitive way to
banish the furschlugginer bullets. Naturally :-)

This is I think a universal criticism that many of us have of
modern software - designers make certain assumptions about what
"everybody wants" and seemingly hard-code them into place - like
bullets on slides. What if one doesn't *want* the damned bullets?

And woe betide you if you put a number in front of your text;
every subsequent text entry after any intervening line stop
is going to precociously supply you, unasked, with a number
politely following in sequence. I have gone into the optioning of
OOWriter, which BTW I dearly love despite it all, and told it
specifically to *not* autonumber, autocomplete, or autocorrect,
and it *still* insists on doing it.

One really does get tired of their software continually informing
them that it knows better what they want than they do :-)

Brewster