On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 15:52, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/01/2009 09:09 PM, bg wrote:
>

> > One really does get tired of their software continually informing
> > them that it knows better what they want than they do :-)
> >
> > Brewster
>
> Perhaps this will help:
>
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/

bg:

I would love to think so, but after reading three different Impress
manuals and wading through two different tutorials, I'm unconvinced.
For example, in one of the manuals, it proclaims the following:

Pasted from Impress on-line manual:

In Normal View:

     1. Click on the Text icon Image:TextIcon.png on the Drawing
        toolbar. If the toolbar with the text icon is not visible,
        choose View > Toolbars > Drawing.
     2.
     3. bg:
     4.
     5. The above does not work. It fails to produce a "T" icon
     6. anywhere. "View|Toolbars|Text" does.
     7.
     8.
     9. From the manual:
    10.
    11. Click and drag to draw a box for the text on the slide.
    12. Release the mouse button when finished. The cursor appears in
        the text box, which is now in edit mode (gray hashed border with
        green resizing handles, as shown below).
    13.
    14. bg:
    15.
    16. I did exactly as it said to do. When I released the mouse
        button, no hashed border with green resizing handles appeared.
    17.
    18. I really am beginning to wonder whether something has crippled
        my copy of OO - there have been too many instances
    19. now where what the docs say and what happens do not bear
    20. any resemblance to each other.
    21.
    22. Here's a fun little lovely maybe someone can explain -
    23. I'm editing merrily along in a body of text that was copied
    24. from a website Impress instruction manual, and I cannot
    25. find a way to banish the *&^*$&^...@#)$* numbers at the left
    26. margin. Backspace won't go there, and the cursor refuses to
    27. cover them.
    28.
    29. Frustration is a pale description :-)
    30.
    31. Brewster