On Thu, 07 May 2009 15:51:31 +0300
Came this utterance formulated by Dotan Cohen to my mailbox:

> > Both ODF and OOXML allow custom namespaces. Anyone can include
> > virtually anything they like into either format. But if your stated
> > goal is interoperability then the Sun ODF plugin worked, SP2
> > doesn't.
> >

> Their stated goal was with ODF, not with OOo.
>
> My stated goal of being interoperable with MSO users means supporting
> what MSO comes with, not a third-party plugin.
>
> >> Any application that chooses to render ODF like MSO renders ODF is
> >> interoperable. OOo can be such an application if it chooses.
> >>

> > Um, no, in the case where a spec doesn't specify then following the
> > crowd is being interoperable.
> >

> Again, their goal was to be interoperable with the spec to achieve
> standards-compliance. OOo-compatibility was not their goal.
>

> > To be honest, it leaves ODF as the looser here, as intended, not
> > OO.o.
> >

> That _will_ be the case if OOo and MSO (the two largest players in the
> field) render it differently, and as you very well state that will
> kill ODF. That is why OOo should start rendering ODF 1.2 documents as
> MSO renders them. It keeps ODF safe, and it makes OOo a drop-in
> replacement for MSO.

Now I understand, you think Microsoft are using ODF V1.2! They aren't,
they are using a bastardised 1.1 which does not conform to what other
1.1 using programs already use _interoperably_. They are the latecomers
onto the stage with a fubar implementation. Nobody is going to change
another program to break compatibilty with documents already saved
in this format. The 1.2 spec is still under development in OASIS.

> The truth is, I don't like playing follow the leader either. But in
> this unique example, I do say that OOo should play by MS's rules, to
> make their toehold in the industry stand. Just as OOo looks to MSO as
> the reference implementation of DOC, so should it be with ODF.

I disagree.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416