> Microsoft has broken compatability and interoperability with not just
> one existing program but several.
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/05/update-on-odf-spreadsheet.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument_software

You mean to say that deficiencies in the ODF specification led to the
scenario where different software can render the same document in
different ways. OOo is _not_ a reference implementation of ODF.

> I'd like to also point out that the original press release by Microsoft
> about Office SP2 had the subtitle "Move enhances customer choice and
> interoperability with Microsoft's flagship productivity suite."
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/may08/05-21ExpandedFormatsPR.mspx
> It does not do that.

Any application that chooses to render ODF like MSO renders ODF is
interoperable. OOo can be such an application if it chooses.

> They have come in late in the life of ODF V1.1 with a version that
> breaks on many existing documents. Version 1.1 is a document format not
> under ongoing development.
>
> V1.2 is developing the reference implementation being talked about.
> Version 1.2 is the next version to go through ISO/IEC standardisation
> and now the OASIS TC have capped the feature creep issue it should
> proceed apace.
>
> So to Tim Smiths suggestions i reply - this is an established format
> with existing interoperability between multiple software
> implementations. What Microsoft has done is run in and spike the
> football on the playing field, then ask "Now, who wants to play with my
> ball?". It is the boundary line between steps one and two of Embrace,
> Extend and Extinguish.

Good analogy. I say that OOo play ball. OOo is certain _not_ to win if
it doesn't.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com