On Thu, 07 May 2009 15:11:30 +0300
Came this utterance formulated by Dotan Cohen to my mailbox:

> > Microsoft has broken compatability and interoperability with not
> > just one existing program but several.
> > http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/05/update-on-odf-spreadsheet.html
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument_software
> >

> You mean to say that deficiencies in the ODF specification led to the
> scenario where different software can render the same document in
> different ways. OOo is _not_ a reference implementation of ODF.

Both ODF and OOXML allow custom namespaces. Anyone can include virtually
anything they like into either format. But if your stated goal is
interoperability then the Sun ODF plugin worked, SP2 doesn't.

> > I'd like to also point out that the original press release by
> > Microsoft about Office SP2 had the subtitle "Move enhances customer
> > choice and interoperability with Microsoft's flagship productivity
> > suite."
> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/may08/05-21ExpandedFormatsPR.mspx
> > It does not do that.
> >

> Any application that chooses to render ODF like MSO renders ODF is
> interoperable. OOo can be such an application if it chooses.

Um, no, in the case where a spec doesn't specify then following the
crowd is being interoperable.

> > They have come in late in the life of ODF V1.1 with a version that
> > breaks on many existing documents. Version 1.1 is a document format
> > not under ongoing development.
> >
> > V1.2 is developing the reference implementation being talked about.
> > Version 1.2 is the next version to go through ISO/IEC
> > standardisation and now the OASIS TC have capped the feature creep
> > issue it should proceed apace.
> >
> > So to Tim Smiths suggestions i reply - this is an established format
> > with existing interoperability between multiple software
> > implementations. What Microsoft has done is run in and spike the
> > football on the playing field, then ask "Now, who wants to play with
> > my ball?". It is the boundary line between steps one and two of
> > Embrace, Extend and Extinguish.
> >

> Good analogy. I say that OOo play ball. OOo is certain _not_ to win if
> it doesn't.

To be honest, it leaves ODF as the looser here, as intended, not OO.o.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416