On Mon, May 18, 2009 19:11:18 PM -0700, NoOp wrote:

> BTW: you might want to *read* Marco Fioretti's post. While I think that
> Marco sometimes takes his articles a little too far in his insistence of
> users toeing the digital freedom line (sorry Marco),

please have a look at the two paragraphs starting with "Respect people
freedom, make them respect others' freedom" at
http://digifreedom.net/node/103 as a proof that what I actually do is
exactly the opposite. I insist that people *are* left as free as
possible, rather than being coerced into mine or anybody else's
concept of "free as in freedom" software.

In general, what I insist about is to use only open file formats,
exactly because it's much easier to accomplish, and above all much,
much more respectful of other people's freedom than demanding, or
wishing, that everybody uses the same programs, or only uses programs
with a certain license.

The most important software freedom is the freedom to ignore what
software the people with which you want to interact are using. To get
there, all is needed is open file formats and protocols. Being firm on
this removes the need to insist on almost everything else.

This said, thanks for this:

> I generally agree with much of what he publishes. The fact that he'd
> addressed this issue specifically with Scouting some time ago is
> pretty intriguing (at least to me).

and if you found that article intriguing, you may think the same of
other pieces linked from the second half of
http://digifreedom.net/node/103

Regards,
        Marco Fioretti
        Digital rights writings -> http://mfioretti.com