Mark C. Miller wrote:

For $10 I bought a neat little toy.  There's a strap that goes around the
wrist with a metal plate under part of it.  The other end is an alligator
clip to attach to the case.  Static solved.  Or at least that's what the
package says.

That's an anti-static wrist strap. I've often used those when working on circuit boards. There should be a fairly high resistance between that metal plate and the clip, so that if you touch something that's live, you won't electrocute yourself. That resistance will not make much of a difference with static discharge.