M Henri Day wrote:
2010/1/8 Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com>

2010/1/8 Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com>:
I suspect my system may be slowly dying, strange things
are happening frequently
"Strange things" is usually one of three things;
1) overheating CPU
2) bad memory
3) faulty power supply

I would start checking them in that order.

And cables! That should be obvious, but it needs saying anyway.

--
Dotan Cohen

Barbara, with regard to Dotan's first point above, if you're running a
desktop, you might want to crack the case and see if it's filled with dust
and other detritus. If so, cleaning it could do wonders !...

Henri

Unfortunately, it's a laptop. I've looked at the maintenance manual -- scary! it has all kinds of things like using a plastic screwdriver to carefully pry things out or away from latches, etc. Haven't gotten my courage up enough to tackle it! I may get a new machine, then tinker with this one to maybe use as a backup.