OK, I'm officially running 3.0 in production now. The upgrade was
miraculously easy. Despite my paranoia that something was going to bite me
in the behind, it went so smooth I was still worried.

Reading all the docs was a HUGE help. Especially the Prereq's for it! That
was great documentation.

Normally I go thru source. I downloaded just to read everything anyway. Well
because my system was running everything old, like Perl, I decided to go the
CPAN route. Goodness was this ever easy.

I caught the "gottcha!" of making a link between /usr/bin/spamd and
/usr/local/bin/spamd before it became a problem. (As well as spamc,
spamassassin, and even Perl!) Thanks for the tidbit posted to this list.

I had 2.4x still running for days until I got a clean lint from 3.0. And 3.0
lint even caught syntax problems in the custom rules that 2.4x didn't! Lint
nicely told me that my old local.cf config lines were bogus. Quick read of
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf had me fixed in no time.

Lints ok, I *gulp* kill my 2.4x process for the last time, rerun spamd with
3.0 version....... *poof* antispam heaven :)

Granted I'm not using Bayes. I don't think it is worth the trouble. SURBL is
rocking. I only had one of my scripts break, and I expected it to do that.
Quick fix anyway.

The best advice I can give is to read ALL the docs before upgrading! README,
INSTALL, UPGRADE, Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf, and the wiki. Also remove custom
rule files until after you have 3.0 running. Best to tackle those later.

HTH,

Chris Santerre
System Admin and SARE Ninja
http://www.rulesemporium.com
http://www.surbl.org
'It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.'
Charles Darwin