On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 02:40:35PM -0400, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> However, perhaps given the importance of SA and the symplicity of what this
> does, SA might want to just not use this module and do something else --
> even ask for the FQDN in the configure part, when it asks for the e-mail
> address to use and the other questions.

[snip]

> The more I think about it I think SA should just drop the module and do
> something else.

SA doesn't use this module directly, so consider it dropped :)

It's used by Mail::SPF::Query, maybe Net::DNS but I don't remember.

What should happen is the author of Sys::Hostname::Long should fix the
issue, then the author of Mail::SPF::Query should require the
version of Sys::Hostname::Long with the issue fixed.  Since we don't
require the Mail::SPF::Query module to be installed, we can't require
a certain version, but in INSTALL we can recommend using a specific
version which will in turn make sure that the Sys::Hostname::Long
issue is fixed.

Michael

BTW: Hardcoding a hostname as part of a module install is unwise
(think installs that run on multiple systems either via package
install or global NFS mounts)