Michael Parker wrote:

init.pre is part of the SA distribution, if your package/port does not
include it then it is broken and you should complain to your package
maintainer.  I've forgotten all of the details but init.pre is special
because it gets loaded before all other files are processed (ie share)
so that the ifplugin XXXXX lines work correctly in the *.cf files.

It turns out init.pre does not exist, but init.pre.sample *does*. I cp'd that to init.pre, and uncommented the loadplugin line:

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL

And it's probably worth repeating that the default (suggested) local.cf entries from www.surbl.org don't tickle spamassassin --lint which exits quietly.

I restarted amavisd-new from the appropriate /usr/local/etc/rc.d script after putting init.pre in place. spamassassin -D on a message that had been caught by Spamcop URI (w/ 2.64) shows that the plugin is loaded just fine; and yet, the URI score never shows up in the spam report.

Boggled.